What Is Keto Fatigue And How To Battle It
Published: 2 years ago
Did you recently start on your keto diet journey? Do you suddenly feel tired all the time? Do you feel like you’re getting sick? Don’t worry! It’s simply part of the process. It’s perfectly normal to display flu-like symptoms at the start of your keto diet, especially for first timers. Aptly called Keto Fatigue, this condition is caused by the dramatic change in your eating habits, and it also means that the diet is working. Your body is basically transitioning from burning sugar (found in carbohydrates) for energy to burning fat. This entails that you are in the process of losing weight.
Of course, nobody wants to feel tired all the time to achieve their target weight. So how do you battle Keto Fatigue? Here are some tips to get your mojo back, and improve your energy levels:
- Eat enough fat. Remember this: fat is not the enemy, sugar is. Since you’re cutting carbs by going keto, your body needs extra fat as its main source of energy. Eat fatty meats (like steaks, bacon or sausages) or snacks with some fat in them like cheese, macadamia nuts or avocado.
- Eat regularly. If you’re feeling fatigued, don’t skip meals. It’s recommended to have three meals a day, with a decent amount of protein and fat.
- Eat clean. Get rid of the junk food and opt for natural, nutritious food. It’s important that your body gets its recommended doses of vitamins and nutrients.
- Track your food and check food macros. Yes, this sounds tedious, but getting the ideal number of “macros” or macronutrients (carbs, fats and protein) is crucial for the diet to work. If you don’t hit the right levels, your diet won’t be optimal, and there’s a chance you may get side effects like tiredness.
- Move and exercise gently. Adapting a keto diet will help you lose weight, yes, but you need regular exercise to achieve your target weight, and of course, for general health purposes. The key, though, is to take it easy. Lower the intensity of your workouts so you won’t get overtired. Once your body adapts to your new diet, you can return to your usual level of exercise intensity.
These are some of the ways you can get your groove back whilst on a keto diet. However, if you’re still fatigued after a week or two, there might be another problem you need to address. That’s when you should consult with a doctor already.
In the long run, the sacrifices and possible side effects will have been worth it as you crush your weight goals, and achieve your dream body. When you feel like giving up, remember why you started. Sacrifice comes before success.
It's 2022, and diet culture has changed a lot. Today, we are much more aware of healthier food and b
1 week ago
Many people care a lot about their physical appearance. Some also care about their health and good p
1 month ago
Many people are suspicious of even just hearing the word ‘diet’ nowadays. So much nonsense and l
2 months ago
It's not a secret that a ketogenic diet can help you lose weight but did you know that keto is great
2 months ago
If you have decided to try the keto diet, you are undoubtedly hoping to benefit from some of the hea
4 months ago
Health is the real wealth is a saying we should always keep in mind. However, we tend to remember it
6 months ago